1) Hire an Expert Divorce Attorney: Even if you do not anticipate a challenging divorce process, an expert divorce lawyer can help to make sure your interests are met during the divorce proceedings and that the divorce proceedings go as well as they could. If a divorce is particularly contentious a divorce lawyer can help to make sure that your interests and position are set forth as best a possible. Divorce proceedings differ in different states and having an expert divorce attorney present who is familiar with local law can help to ensure that your side I presented in a positive light.
2) Be Organized: An divorce lawyer will work with the information that you provide them with. Having good documentation including old tax returns, dates of asset acquisitions and cost, and details of your current assets and liabilities. By presenting information to your attorney in na organized and detailed way they can present data more effectively and investigate items appropriately. Many states differentiate between p and post-marriage assets and having support for which class each of your assets fall into can make their job easier and improve the results of your divorce.
3) Talk to Your Spouse: Have a conversation with your spouse, if at all possible, so that you can understand their issues and desires from the divorce. Sometimes a smooth divorce results from a clear and open understanding. A spouse may want you to be involved in your child’s life and may not want to argue about child custody or control. By understanding the positions that the other side will take you can hone in and work to settle those more contentious issues that you have left.
4) Be Reasonable: Don’t simply fight to take every last asset from your ex, even if you are hurt by them. Work to find a common solution so that you can go forward with your lives in a positive manner. Being reasonable in your requests will help to make the divorce process go smoothly.
5) Clearly Define What is Important: Have clearly defined those objectives for your divorce which are most important to you. Perhaps it is holding onto a home or a car, or retaining sole custody of your child. Have your desires clearly identified and defined and be sure to communicate this information to your divorce attorney that helps to highlight what is important to you.
Divorces drag in all sorts of mixed feelings that create a significant amount of emotional baggage to the divorce proceedings. Considering the five prior steps you can work towards making the divorce proceedings go as smoothly as possible.