Adwords and SEO are very important elements of search engine marketing (SEM), especially in digital marketing campaigns. The two online marketing strategies have certain similarities and differences. They are used separately, but can also be used together depending on your overall business marketing strategy and objectives.
What is Google Adwords?
Google Adwords is a digital marketing platform that was established by Google. Millions of advertisers use Google Adwords to advertise their products and services on Google platforms including Gmail and YouTube. This platform also offers advertisers the opportunity to position their ads in Google Search Result pages and in other websites that take part in the Adwords program as publishers. Advertisers pay for their Adwords based on Cost per Click (CPC) or Cost per Thousands Impressions (CPM). In other words, Adwords system is just like a massive auction where multiple advertisers scramble for available advertising space.
What is SEO?
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) focuses more on getting improved rankings in major search engines result pages such as Yahoo and Google among others. To get better ranking, you have to ensure that your website is search engine friendly. Search engine friendly websites are websites that contain certain attributes that make them popular with search engine bots and provide excellent user experience.
Adwords VS SEO
• Adwords are specifically for websites that use Google Adsense including Google websites and search engine while SEO rules apply to all search engines.
• Traffic for Adwords is paid for while SEO traffic is absolutely free.
• Adwords provide great exposure because the ads show up on the top and right side of Google search results. On the other hand, you have to put in extra work for your website to be in top search engine results pages.
• There are instant results with Adwords since you can come up with advertising campaigns almost immediately and start enjoying targeted traffic. With SEO, you will need more time to get good traffic and rankings, especially if you have a new website.
• It is easy to calculate the (returns on investment) ROI with Adwords. However, you cannot solely rely on SEO to determine returns on investment because there are various factors that play important roles in SEO.
Which One Should You Use?
A startup company can consider using Adwords. Fast results are a significant advantage that Adwords has over SEO. While you have to pay for traffic from your Adwords campaign, you can make up for the expenses in PPC if your campaigns are profitable and help you to reach your business goals. New Companies looking for quick targeted traffic to boost sales will find Google Adwords to be more effective than SEO. However, SEO is more effective in boosting exposure and generating sales over a long period and is often used by both startups and established companies.
You have to use Adwords carefully and wisely because improper monitoring or poor control tools will lead to losses instead of profits. It is wise to hire a professional SEO company to help you with your campaigns if you don’t have the knowledge and experience to undertake Adwords Campaigns on your own.